Cauliflower pizza...what?

Oh yeah, Cauliflower pizza! Eating Paleo consists of approx. 80% of my diet. My choice to go out and eat pizza is normally at the very bottom of my list, so finding an alternative is music to my ears.  

The first time I ate cauliflower pizza was a couple weeks back when visiting my friends Aleem and Farrah for dinner. Aleem’s wife Farrah is such an amazing cook and freestyles the crap out of every meal. Since she knew my boyfriend and I were coming over, she made cauliflower pizza.

It was honestly such a perfect substitute to a thin crust pizza. The consistency, the taste and texture replicated a regular pizza crust and I knew I had to try it out for myself.

I adapted my recipe below from this website, tweaked it and made it simpler to follow. I do not provide a recipe for the toppings since there are a million ways you can top a pizza! I want you to be creative but have a great veggie base to start with. Try it out and let me know what you think!


Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Prep time
20 mins
This is the crust before cooking for 15 mins.

Cook time (base only)
15 mins

Cook time (base with toppings)
10 mins

Supplies
Food processor or strong blender, bowel, spoon, cookie sheet, parchment paper, tea towel

Ingredients
1 big head of cauliflower
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp - 1 tsp herbs de provence (or any dried herb combination of your choice!)
1 egg
1 tbs olive oil

How to do it
  •  Take a cookie sheet, place in oven, then pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
  • Grind cauliflower up into tiny pieces either in a food processor or strong blender
  • Put cauliflower pieces in a microwave safe bowl, cover with paper towel, and microwave for four minutes
  • Remove from microwave, dump into a clean tea towel, and allow to cool (10-15mins)
  • Prep pizza toppings of your choice while you are waiting for the cauliflower pieces to cool
  • Wrap cauliflower pieces up in tea towel and ring as much liquid out of cauliflower into sink (if not, the crust will just crumble after you cook it)
  • Once liquid is rung out as much as possible, add cauliflower pieces back into bowl and add remaining ingredients.
  • Mix until fully incorporated. Dump out mixture on parchment paper and flatten out by hand. Crust should not be too thin or too thick.
  • Place flattened out crust with parchment paper onto hot baking sheet. Put in oven for 15 mins or until edges are brown.
  • Once nicely brown, pull out of the oven, and top to your hearts content! Once topped with your favourite ingredients, bake in oven for another 10 mins or until toppings cooked.
  • Remove from oven; allow to cool for a few minutes, slice and serve. Boom!


No comments:

Post a Comment